I was listening to the radio today as I was driving and I heard something that really made me think. The speakers were talking about how most Christians pray that God would mold them to be more like Christ, yet everyone wants to get there gently. They don't want to carry a big cross and they certainly don't want to go through all the suffering Jesus had to go through. We live in a country and place where pretty much everything is at our disposal, yet when it comes to meeting our soul's needs, we do such a poor job. Why are we so scared of suffering? Doesn't the Bible teach us to rejoice in suffering?
I find it interesting that the moments in my life when I go through some kind of suffering, that's also when I learn the most about God and life. The radio speaker was commenting how one day he watched Billy Graham in Larry King. Billy Graham was already advanced in years, suffering with Parkinsons. Yet, he still managed to shock Larry King with his answer when asked if he prayed that God would heal him. Billy's answer was "No." Then, Larry asked, "But, you do pray for God to lessen your pain, don't you?" Amazingly, Billy's answer was again, "No." Then, he explained, "I pray for God's will to be done in my life. If it means that suffering and pain will help me grow to be more like Christ, then let it be."
Wow. How many of us can actually say that? I know I have a hard time dealing with suffering and pain. I gripe, kick and complain everytime I feel a little discomfort coming up. How shameful...Thank You Lord, for Your patience with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment