I've never been one of those people who are likely to attend neighborhood association meetings, much less be a part of a neighborhood committee. But, things are much different now, especially when you're a church planter. You have to constantly seek ways to be involved in the community and be exposed to as many people as you can. It's tiring being social, especially if you're naturally a shy person. Jason and I are part of the neighborhood association's social committee and the communications committee. At first, it was so overwhelming getting together with a bunch of outspoken women. Something about hanging out with a group of outspoken women scares me. I haven't been able to figure out what it is, but I get intimidated by certain women easily.
Last night, Jason and I opened up our house for a dinner and meeting for the social committee. We got to know the people better and that felt good. I think the worst part might really be the initial awkwardness of meeting new people and not really knowing what to talk about. We're trying hard to be active in our involvement instead of reacting to things as they happen. It's quite a challenge sometimes, but if it came easily to us, there would be no need to rely on God. So, praise God for obsticles and inadequacy.
The block party last Saturday went well, praise God. There was an 80% chance of rain that day. We prayed hard. It poured in all the cities around us, and an hour before the party began, winds picked up, the sky darkened and it started sprinkling a little bit in Allen. But, about 20 minutes before the party, the sun came out. What a blessing this was! God really protected and sheltered us from the storm.
We overestimated the amount of people that would show up. I think weather had much to do with it, but we're confident that God sent the right amount of people to come. We also had a good group of volunteers (who not only came with readiness to serve but also a joyful attitude) and we have a good amount of contacts. We're following up with them now. Praise God for His awesome work!
No comments:
Post a Comment