But not the one from the movie...but Mary, sister of Martha and Lazarus. I happen to think she's a real fascinating person. Here is a woman who really knows where she belongs in relationship to Jesus. In Luke 10:38-42, Jesus and his disciples are guests in Martha and Mary’s house. Martha is super stressed out and frustrated at her sister Mary, that in the midst of such a busy time, she’s sitting at the feet of Jesus gobbling up every word He’s saying instead of helping prepare this massive meal for a bunch of hungry men.
Martha makes her frustration known to everyone and especially to Jesus. “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” (Actually sounds like something I would say, by the way.) And before Mary can say anything or even defend herself, Jesus responds, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her.”
Only ONE thing is NEEDED! In other versions it says, only one thing is REQUIRED. Sitting at Jesus’ feet is better than anything else we could ever choose for ourselves. It’s the one thing God requires from us…and He says it will NOT be taken away from us. Wow. What does it mean that “only one thing is needed”? Somehow we’ve gotten things reversed. The most important thing is not serving God as many of us think but sitting at His feet. Serving Him comes as a result from sitting at His feet. In His presence, not only do we get to know Him- who He is- but we learn what His will is for us and how He desires for us to obey and join Him in what He’s already doing.
This makes me wonder how many things I tend to take on without having truly heard from God first. I’m active in serving Him, but how many of the areas in which I’m serving are truly because I was sitting at Jesus’ feet and heard Him specifically direct me to do them? I may have the burden for something, but unless I hear Him or feel His leading, I’m doing something He never asked of me. No wonder many of us feel like we’re spread out too thin and that at any moment, if and when the next person asks us to consider serving in another area we’re ready to bite their heads off! Could this also be the reason why many of us serve joylessly and as if we were running on and empty gas tank? Have we been taking on things God never asked us to do but have neglected the one thing He’s required of us- to sit at His feet?
The second passage of Mary is found in Luke 11, when her brother Lazarus gets very sick and dies. The passage tells us that Jesus loved Lazarus and his sisters very much. Yet upon hearing about Lazarus’ grave sickness, he stayed where he was 2 more days, which is REALLY odd. Other versions say that Jesus heard that Lazarus was sick “therefore”, he stayed where he was 2 more days. But anyway, once He gets there, Martha comes to meet Him and tells Him, “If only You had been here, Lazarus would not have died”. Then, she goes home and tells Mary that Jesus has arrived. Apparently, Mary did not know Jesus had already come (which explains why Martha went out to meet Jesus alone first).
As soon as Mary hears Jesus is around, she RUNS to meet Him. Verse 32 says, “When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw Him, she fell at His feet and said, ‘Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.’ When Jesus saw her weeping and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled”. V. 35, and “Jesus wept.” We know Jesus loved Martha and Mary the same. We know that because God shows no favoritism. Both Martha and Mary said pretty much the same words to Jesus, “If only you had been here…” But isn't it interesting that Mary, not Martha, is the one who brings out such strong emotions of grief in Jesus? Could it be that those who are in the habit of sitting at the feet of Christ are the ones who touch His heart the most? I love Mary's response when she gets to Jesus. She falls at His feet. She knew that at the feet of Jesus she could find not only the words of life, but also comfort and healing.
**On the side…Going back to the “therefore” Jesus stayed where He was 2 more days…it just doesn’t seem to make much sense that Jesus would stay where He was when He knew Lazarus was about to die because He loved him. Wouldn’t it make more sense for Him to hurry to Lazarus’ presence before he died? UNLESS, He’s trying to teach Lazarus, his sisters, his friends and all of us a very important lesson. In order for us to experience God’s resurrection power, we must first die. Yes, unless we die to our self, we will never experience His life in us. No wonder He tells us that in order to be His disciples we must deny our selves, take up our cross (always a sign of death) and follow Him, (Mark 8:34). This is a whole new interesting subject that must be explored at another time.**
The third passage about Mary is found in John 12. A dinner was given in honor of Jesus. Martha served as always (without complaining this time) and Lazarus enjoyed Jesus’ presence and reclined at the table with Him when Mary makes her entrance once again. Verses 3-4, “Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray Him, objected, ‘Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.’”
I'm trying to imagine myself being there, in the culture then and all…. Mary is an unmarried woman, in an extremely conservative culture where women were not to associate themselves too much with men. And here she is, bringing a super expensive perfume, rubbing it on Jesus’ feet and wiping them with her very own hair! Talk about giving people the wrong impression! I can almost see the faces of the people around watching, squirming, feeling very uncomfortable while this scene (which seems like very inappropriate behavior on Mary’s part) unfolds before their very eyes. And then, what’s worse, someone comments on what’s happening and basically calls her act of love a “waste”….after all, it’s worth a whole year’s wages! I mean, what in the world is Mary thinking?
But Mary has never had to apologize or explain her displays of affection toward Jesus to anyone in public. She has never found this need because Jesus ALWAYS defends her before others. “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial…”. In Matthew 26:10 Jesus even says, “..she has done a beautiful thing to me.” Why is it that others (Jesus’ disciples included) thought breaking this jar of perfume for Jesus’ feet was a waste? Could it be that they didn’t think Jesus was worthy enough of such extravagance? What about me? Am I extravagant in my worship to Jesus? Do I believe He is worthy of everything I could ever offer?
What’s the common thing about Mary in these three passages? Jesus’ feet. Wherever Jesus and Mary are in the same picture, you can bet Mary is or will be at His feet, whether it is to listen to the words of Life, to mourn and be comforted or to pour herself in extravagant adoration. Only one thing is required of us….and Mary knows that well. She knows she belongs at His feet because He is worthy.
I end this entry with the words of one of my favorite songs:
Alabaster Jar
This alabaster jar is all I have of worth
I break it at Your feet Lord
It’s less than You deserve
You’re far more beautiful, more precious than the oil
The sum of my desires and the fullness of my joy
Like You spilled Your blood, I spill my heart
As an offering to my King
Here I am, take me as an offering
Here I am, giving every heartbeat for Your glory
Take me
This time that I have left is all I have of worth
I lay it all Your feet Lord, it’s less than You deserve
And though I’ve little strength, and though my days are few
You gave Your life for me so I will live my life for You
Worthy, worthy, You are worthy
Worthy is the Lord!
No comments:
Post a Comment