Something so wonderful happened to me yesterday that just totally made my day! :) After dropping off kids at school, I headed over to the DMV to renew my driver's license which expired on my birthday. There were SO many people waiting in line, I had a feeling it would take up my whole morning which I wasn't too happy about. I even called Jason and asked if he could try to renew my license on their website but for some reason, he just couldn't get the website to do it. After a while of waiting, I was called and when I finally got to the booth, I found out I was missing one document and couldn't renew my license until I came back with it. I was so annoyed with myself. I'm such an impatient person (I hate waiting in lines) and was angry that I didn't call earlier to find out what documents I needed. So, I hurried back home, got all my required documents and went back to wait in line. There was still a lot of people so I sat down to wait and started reading my copy of AW Tozer's "Pursuit of God".
To my surprise, I was quickly called to the booth and as I got there, I set my book down on the counter to get all my documents. The lady looked at the book and said, "I've heard that's a good book. I've never read it, but have heard good things about it". Immediately, God opened a opportunity for me to share about this book and the things I've been learning from it. I told her how this is my 2nd time reading it and how I feel that through it, God has been opening my eyes to see things that I'd never seen before and also to realize that I've been taught wrong in many areas after all these years of being a believer. It was just one thing after another, and to tell you the truth, I just couldn't believe some of the things that were coming out of my mouth. God was bringing things to my memory to tell her and everything in the conversation just flowed so well! This is a big deal for me because I don't like talking to strangers and whenever I try too hard, I mess up terribly. I always end up thinking about what to say WAY AFTER the fact and kick myself for it. But not this time. I felt God's presence and working through this.
The lady said, "My husband keeps telling me to quit this job, but for some reason, I just find that God brings along the most interesting people." I even left her a verse to ponder on. John 17:3 which says that eternal life is all about knowing God. We think eternal life is about getting in to heaven, but it really is about knowing God. He IS our Promised Land.
I left the DMV and it quickly dawned on me that if I hadn't messed up with my documents, I wouldn't have gotten to talk to this lady, since I had been called to another booth my first time. And there's a good reason the website wasn't letting me renew my license online. Everything had been planned by God. Hopefully, the lady was encouraged, but I sort of get a feeling this was more of me than for her. God used my mistakes (of not being prepared) and placed me with an opportunity to share my faith and and to use verses I've recently memorized. I was able to experience what Jesus meant when He tells His disciples not to worry about what to say for the Spirit will remind them. What began as a very frustrating morning turned into one of the best mornings I've had in a while. I left completely filled with His joy. What an incredible blessing and encouragement from God!
This whole thing reminds that we always need to be ready, in season and out, to give a reason for the faith we hold to. At any moment, God will open up an opportunity, usually when we least expect it, and we need to be ready to take it! I believe our willingness is most important, and when we surrender to His promptings, His Spirit will do the rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment